Sunday, July 22, 2018
Labor group expects “good” SONA
“It should be a SONA that would squarely address economic woes and political issues besetting the country today”, said Nagkaisa spokesperson Ka Rene Magtubo.
Nagkaisa expects the President’s SONA should contain the following:
– Addressing the proliferation of illegal and abusive contracting arrangements that DO 174 and EO 51 failed to do, by way of certifying as urgent the Security of Tenure Bill pending in the Senate
– Addressing the “gap” in workers wages and the cost of living brought about by the TRAIN law, rising inflation, peso devaluation, profiteering and the spike in global prices of petroleum products by way of certifying as urgent wage bills pending in the House of Representatives;
– Providing more assistance to women workers by enacting into law the Expanded Maternity Leave Bill pending in the House of Representatives;
– Addressing the prevalence of poverty despite positive economic growth in terms of programs and services that would directly benefit the poor people by way of increasing budget in affordable housing, universal healthcare and pension for the elderly among others;
– Addressing the continuing problem of unemployment and underemployment by way of policies and programs that would provide more local employment opportunities to the labor force by way of a clear industrialization policy, continuing land reform, and development of agriculture; and
– Clear government policy of defending the country’s sovereignty and patrimony on its rightful claims in the West Philippine Sea.
“These are the real issues that matter most to the working people that government should prioritize and not charter change. Absent these issues, the speech will be “business as usual” as in the previous SONAs”, Magtubo added.
Majority of the members of the coalition will be joining the United Peoples’ SONA to voice out workers issues and concerns.
– Nagkaisa Labor Coalition
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Post a Comment